Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Making Travel Fun Again


I don't know about anyone else, but I've been having a hard time with traveling lately.  I haven't taken a long vacation in almost an entire year.  I was getting worn out.  I wasn't feeling happiness from my travels any longer.  I'm going to try to run down why, right here, out in the open.  This might look like a complete mess when I am done.

So, I have always loved to travel, since I was a kid.  I have dreamed of far away lands, great places to see and wonderful things to do.  When I became an adult and started to go to those places, I absolutely adored every single minute.  New states, new countries, new beaches.  It didn't really matter where I went or what I did.  It was amazing!

At some point, I stopped experiencing my travels.  I instead began to document them.  I felt the need to take tons of pictures, tons of video, buy souvenirs.  It was like I thought if I didn't document everything, I would forget it all.  Or maybe it would be like I had never been in the first place.

Add to that the desire to somehow make money off of my travels, and it wasn't fun any longer.  It was a competition.  One I wasn't winning by the way.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't hate or hold any ill will towards people who can make money while traveling.  I feel great happiness for them.  It just wasn't working for me, and part of why is that I wasn't putting in the work necessary.  I wasn't in it.  I didn't really want it as bad as other people.

After our trip to Colorado last year, which I feel pretty sure I never shared on my blog, travel blues hit me hard.  Not just me, but my entire family.  They expressed feelings of being tired of being filmed, or having their pictures taken constantly.  I was tired of being behind the camera.  I just wanted to enjoy myself again.  

That brought us to here.  We are fixing to take our first family vacation in almost an entire year.  This is different for us because we have vowed to put away the cameras, lock up the phones, and just be present with each other.  We have decided not to document our vacation just to share with other people. 

That means I probably won't be sharing much with this blog either.  I hope thats ok.  Instead, I plan to write down the things we do.  I will be descriptive.  I will use my words to save the memories.  It's always more fun to sit and here a story than watch a slideshow anyways.  

Happy Travels!

No comments: