Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Saving Money While on Vacation

So, you've booked yourself a vacation to somewhere amazing! I'm so excited for you!  Here's the thing. Vacations can be expensive. Really expensive. But they don't have to be!   I have a motto when planning a vacation. Book your flights. Snag a place to sleep. Then it's time to plan what you will do while you are there.  I'm not going to get into details on booking flights or hotels. You can look here for help with flights or here for help with hotels.  You are the only one who knows how much money you can afford to spend on vacation. Ideally, you have been saving a little money here and there for a couple months or more and you have a good idea how much you can afford to use.  I have to be honest, I'm a huge budget traveler.  I'm usually in it to see amazing scenery, but sometimes I like to go to a nice dinner, see a great show, or visit a unique museum. This is how I do it.  First thing I do is search Groupon for my destination.  I look for places to see, things to do, and places to eat. I've found groupons for massages, huge discounts on food, attraction discounts, shows and movie discounts, and so much more. It's seriously my first stop and I always look there first.  Once I've found a few things there, I typically add those to my itenerary. Some things have specific times you can use them, so be mindful of that.  If your hotel or lodging option has a kitchenette or a small fridge, use it!  Making sandwiches, small salads, or easy meals at your hotel is a great way to save yourself money!   I also regularly use ebates when I'm shopping for things online. I save the money earned until I get ready to go on vacation, and then I use that money for my vacations. It's super easy and if you already do some shopping online, why not get some cash back for it?  If you don't already use this app, please check it out. You might be very happy about it!  Use Yelp or TripAdvisor. Both are great ways to find fun and FREE things to do at your destination. There are reviews and forums that you can review that can answer all kinds of questions.  You don't have to be wealthy to travel to amazing places and enjoy them while you are there. If you have specific questions or ideas I haven't shared, comment below. I'd love to hear from you! 

No comments: